2016 commercial production, reinforced by two years of crop trials, has delivered consistently high quality, class 1 fruit with excellent flavour.
Benefits for growers
- 3-4 x plant density increase
- Eliminate phytophthora and other root zone fungal disease
- Fast, easy and precise picking
- Plant and re-plant quickly and easily
- Optimise fruit quality and flavour with nutrient feed know-how
- Staggered harvesting
- No fruit loss to ground based damage and disease
- Clean crop with no soil/coir contamination
- Extend seasons
- Improve fruit growth environment in high temperature/light conditions
There is significant variation between varieties, root stock size and June-bearer or everbearer type. The below examples demonstrate the relative yield increase, which applies to a greater or lesser extent across most varieties/types.
Commercial farm June bearer Elsanta LWB
6.45 kg/m² @ 29 plants per m²
vs. 1.6 kg/m² @ 6.25 plants per m² in coir bags
Trial farm June bearer Elsanta A+
8.8 kg/m² @ 29 plants per m²
Costs of production
approx. £0.18 per plant Including: Planting and harvesting labour, Nutrients, Water, Substrate, Root zone fungal control Excludes plant cost
Anticipated payback time
1.5 to 3.5 years
*All information, figures and prices are subject to change and are given in good faith, based on Saturn Bioponics own research trials combined with sources believed to be reliable and accurate at the time of publication. Saturn Bioponics Ltd does not accept legal liability or responsibility for this content or any consequences arising from its use.